Saturday, February 28, 2009

Stair way to mobile...



Ever done like the guy on this shot? Navigating stair-cases, other people physically present, other people not physically present, managing transport schedules et cetera? I know I do on a regular basis. And although it may look dare devilish I know that a LOT of people get a lot of communication via mobile phones done near means of transportation. I spend a couple of hours every day after work at my local metro station watching and looking for a shot that would tell the tale of multi tasking. I got the idea after spending some time watching people waiting for the buss. Waiting for the buss or for any means of transportation, kind of puts you in a loophole where you either watch longingly in the direction the transport is supposed to come from OR you get communication done on the phone; texting or making phonecalls (a few are browsing the paper). The persons in waiting are kind of in-between worlds in the sense that they are rarely taking interest in their sourrundings.
The most interesting aspect from my point of view is the two-worlds or in-between worlds aspect. When I get a better camera (maybe from the adds on this blog??) I'll launch a series of "where are you" shots de-picting persons on the phone walking. Have you noticed how they distinctly are NOT-here but rather there?
I digress.
Two-worlds or my concept of hybridspace which I have spend some time exploring in my job at the Copenhagen institute for Futures Studies seems like it applies here as well. Using mobile phones in every day settings puts you very much in a hybrid space, not really here, not really there. That is mult tasking in its essence.
Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment