Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Barely missing the good shot


This shot is actually of myself multitasking. No - I am not actually in the shot and neither are anybody else. The multitasker is me, navigating my bicycle in rush hour traffic such as one can experience it through the shaky image of my camera lens. The picture is taken one half second before my otherwise lethally steady hand chose to take an alternative path through the heavily occupied streets. Nothing happened - told you I have a lethwlly steady hand. But I really need to figure out a safe way of snapping "drive by"-shots on the bicycle. Any suggestions are welcome!

The reason why I take such pains is that I really think that one of the situations in which we are most mobile and communicating on the run is while we are on our bicycles. A situation and a fact that makes Denmark/Copenhagen pretty unique is the fact that there are so many using bicycles as a means of tranportation. And the fact that it is not considered low-status such as I have the (un-academic) impression is the case for China/Beijing. Somebody got the figures I will be very happy for a head up!?
Where is all this going - well the reason for much of my fieldwork conducted in my spare time (which this blog is used for - for my professional work, please refer to the Copenhagen Institute for Futures Studies, www.cifs.dk) is my studies of technology in every day context and mobility takes many forms and shapes. Researcher and scolar, Brigitte Jordan at PARC, opened my eyes towards that. In my professional research I am studying what I call "hybrid Space": The fact that we always seen to be between places - whether online, on the phone or mentally. Mostly I refer to the online bit. So while studying technology as it is transformed into everyday tangibles (I am looking for words here...) in the hands of people such as you and me it also tells us something about our mobility and how the two mutually transforms each other. I happen to be fascinated by mobile phones (although I really seem to write alot about bicycles too, don't I?) and how they are changed in the hands of the everydy user. More power to you. For a more professional and insightfull kind of research -check out the Future perfect website of Jan Chipchase, Nokia.
Sphere: Related Content

No comments: